Wednesday, September 22, 2010

All for friendship's sake

I have many friends who work in the software industry.
One such friend is Girija.


I went to meet her in her office .We usually meet up.
But, that day was different.


She wanted to share something 'cause she was in a confusion.

Scene 1:
Girija's office:
I went to her office and she was already waiting for me.She was in an exceptionally tensed mood.It is very rare for Girija to be tensed.She was not the 'cool cat' that day ,that she usually was.

I was worried,but I had to wait.
We went to the canteen and as we sat there sipping our piping hot coffees, when she started to talk.

"As you know ,Ravi and me loved each other in college and we got married."she reminded me.

"I know that."I said.

"It is one year since both of us are working."

"Yes."I was conscious not to sound my hurry.

"I am pregnant now"she said.

What a relief.

"Hey,Congratulations!


But,is this how you tell me this?


I don't see any happiness.Why?

Is this any new trick you are playing on me?"

"No yaar!I am very happy that I am pregnant.But, the situation at home scares me."

"Why ,are your in-laws troubling you?"

"No. They are very good to me."

"Then is it Ravi?"(Not possible, my mind said)

"No.This is tricky."she said.

"Why?What is it then?Maybe the kid does not like it.Right?"

"Stop teasing me.Can you never be seroius?

After a while she continued,
"I was always a high performer in college. You know that Ravi started noticing me due to this.
He admires me for my intelligence and capacity even today."
If he comes to know I am pregnant...

She stopped half-way and gave me a worried look.

For what I knew of Ravi,it only brought me to chuckles.

After a bit of consoling and some more time, she continued,"I think he will not like me to take a break in
my career.He always says that women are no way lesser than men.
He encourages and still admires me for my credits in office.

What if he does not want me to stay at home and take care of the child but, to continue going to office after delivery?"

"Hey, stop.Stop.Are you going paranoid?"I asked her.

"No. I have reason for this worry."she answered

"What reason?".

Just a week before, I was appraised for a promotion and he was so happy.At that moment ,it made me very proud of him but, now I am scared."

"Then why don't you talk it with Ravi?"I asked.

"I am scared.If he does not agree.,it will be very difficult for me to take it."

"So, what are you going to do about this?"I enquired.

You are a common friend to ours. Will you talk this to him for my sake?"

"What? Me? About this?
It is so personal,how can I talk this to him?
No chance."

"Please.You are my best friend.
Please do this for me."

"Okay,I will try.But, what do you want me to convey to him ?"

"I want him to know that I have enjoyed my mother being with me whenever I needed her most.

 She always had the time when I needed it.

I want to give the same happiness to my child.

Will you please make him understand this?"

Okay. I will try to talk and find out what he thinks.Beyond that, it is your lookout.Okay?"

"Okay."It was a worried okay.

I knew there should not be no problem.I knew Ravi very well for that.I have admired him for his good and soft nature.But,I had to respect her feelings.

So,I talked to Ravi and asked him for his time.Long time since I had met him too.
It was fixed that we meet the next day evening in his office.

Scene 2:
Ravi's office:
I was in his office exactly at 6pm,as decided.He was very curious.

"Hi, long time no see.How are you?What happened? You called me urgently."he enquired.

"I am fine.Wanted to talk to you .Thats all.
 How is life?"

"What for me? I am very happy. Giri(Girija)is such a darling.My parents like her very much.
I am very lucky."

I hesitated. "I...er... wanted to talk you about something else too ,"I stammered.

"What?"

"Girija is a bit worried."I said.

About what?She did not tell anything even today morning.She was fine.Any problem?"he asked .

"Not a problem.But she has a doubt in her mind."

"What doubt?"

ER...er...How important is Girija's work for you?"

Why this question suddenly?Does she want to resign her job?
It is her wish.My salary is enough for us to run a our family.

But, I thought she was a  career - oriented woman.She is a high performer in office and I thought she would be the one not wanting to resign."

Saying so he looked at my face for my reaction.

"How would you feel if I say that Girija is pregnant?Would you feel bad if she resigns her job?

"What?Giri is pregnant?(He was literally in tears.)
Are you serious?

But,...er...she was a bit worried to tell you... (He was not there to hear me out.)

"Ravi where are you?"

I knew he would have gone straight to meet Girija in her office.

I saw him jumping and laughing, as he passed through the corridor.


I felt very happy for the couple but, tears rolled down my cheeks.He loves Girija so much.
"Will he ever know that I loved him the same way?"

I told myself,"Crazy girl."







Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment