Sunday, September 12, 2010

'Shoulder Saroja !'

I met Saroja aunty in the neighborhood.
She was in severe pain.


Not because her son left to the U.S of A.(She is an emotional person,no doubt.) This time it was more because her shoulder pain.


She was talking with her neighbour Lalitha ,when I met her.


Did you imagine Saroja aunty like this?
I'm sorry!
BTW,she cannot take her hand like that now.
Can you?
I enquired,"How are you aunty?Has your son left ?"


"Yes sweety. He left yesterday."


I smiled at Lalitha .She returned the courtesy and left ,promising aunty to meet her in the evening.They watch the serials together.Sorry,cry together!(I never get the hang of this.)


 "Why are you in so much pain? Is it because your son has left?He had come for his holidays and you knew he had to go back to join his job."


"No sweety,it is not about that."aunty said.


"Then?",I enquired.


"My left shoulder is paining a lot.I am not able to do much with it.
I have to call uncle repeatedly to help me.I have never done so even in our younger days.
I feel very bad.
Have I become that old sweety?"


"No aunty.Don't worry.
Did you see the orthopedics doctor?"


"I told uncle about this .He enquired from his 'walking friends'.They had told him that the doctor will move the hand forcefully and it will be very painful.So, we dropped the option.


I am not able to bear pain like before.More so, after Raja left to the U.S.
I think my loneliness could have aggravated this."


Just as we were talking, uncle came back from his evening walk.


"Hello uncle."


"Hello sweety."


"How are you uncle?You look fit."


"Yes, all thanks to my morning and evening walks.I keep telling aunty to accompany me atleast once a day.But, she always has something else more important to do.Like seeing T.V.serials.


I feel that if she would have gone on walks regularly, she would not have landed herself in this shoulder pain problem."


"Shoulder pain has nothing to do with walking.We walk with our legs and where do we move our shoulders when we walk.
Moreover, I keep walking the whole day at home.So much of work to be taken care of.
What more walking do I need?"


"Aunty, walking inside the house and going for walks are two different things.I will tell you about this a little later."


"See I told you",uncle teased her.


"You mean to say that I got my shoulder pain because I dind't go on walks?"


"This is partially true.
Actually what happens is: when we don't do a few movements with certain muscles or joints,they start to become hard and immovable in those positions ."I said.


"What are you saying?I do all the work at home .Then I should be doing all the movements in my body."


"It is not like that aunty.
We used to sit on the floor everyday to have our meal, when I was a kid.But, now-a-days we sit on the dining table.Sitting down with folded legs has become so difficult."


"Yes. Right.I feel difficult when I sit for long poojas. I seem to concentrate more on my leg pain than the mantras now-a-days",said uncle.


"That is because we have not trained our leg for that movement for quite some time.It has lost touch of that movement."


"Then how do we remind it?"


"We have to take care to remind it everyday atlest once by doing almost all the movements of all the joints."


"How do we know what are all those movements in each joint?"


"There are physiotherapists and orthopedicians to help you with that aunty."


The love spot!
"Do you mean to say that Saroja's shoulder pain can also be cured like that?"


"Yes.But, it will take sometime and it needs regular exercise to her shoulder."


"Then will I get alright?I won't need any injections or medicines?"


"That depends on how stiff your shoulder has become,how much you exercise it and how much you can move it still."


I told you to do regular exercise.If you would have joined me in my walks you would not have suffered this much."


"Uncle is right to an extent but, just walking could not have averted this problem.She has to do regular movements to her shoulder too, to avoid worsening this."


"Will you have the time to help me out of this pain?I am scared to go to anyone else.You know me best."


"Ok.But, promise me you will start going on walks with uncle whenever possible."


"I promise. But, when can we start with my shoulder?It is paining me a lot."


"Take a pain killer at the moment.Don't worry .
We will meet tomorrow at my clinic."


Uncle said worriedly,"Thank you very much.
Aunty started getting nightmares because of this pain.She thought she is going to loose her hand .She started to behave more like a psycho than a person with pain."


"Don't make fun of me.You will understand only if you had such a crippling pain."


"Now, are you cursing me?"


"You are never taking care of any of my pains.You have always been like that."


"What a liar!"


I let the elderly couple enjoy their fight by themselves.
I left the place after I shouted out a bye to each of them.


 They were so engrossed in their fight that...
But, I knew aunty and uncle will be there in my clinic tomorrow.


So long guys!
















Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment