Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lovely triangle-short story

I am a news reporter.Today I have come to Dhruv's house in the hope of getting a sizzling story .
I happen to get this scoop 'cause Dhruv and me happen to have a common friend.

Scene 1:
Both Ragini and Dhruv were starting to office in a big hurry.

 Once I introduced myself as Hari's friend,they squeezed in a few minutes to answer me in small bouts,before they left.


"Hi, are you Ragini?"

Ragini,
 as she started to office
"I am Ragini.I am Dhruv's wife. Catch you later.I am in a hurry today."
She is gone.

"Hi ,you must be Dhruv. Right?"

"Ya, I am Dhruv.This is my mother Laxmi."

I say a hello.Then I continue,

"I want to talk to you.When can you find time?"

"I am very busy this week.Shall we meet in the weekend?"

"Okay.No problems.I'll meet you at 11a.m on Saturday."

I flash a quick smile to Laxmi and Dhruv and leave the place 'cause he is in a great hurry.

Scene 2:
Dhruv's house on Saturday ,11am.

"How was your day yesterday?You were in a big hurry."

"Ya. Kind of okay."

I was quite used to listening to such not-so-happy official statements now-a-days.So, when I heard it ,I felt an unknown surge of triumph in me.
After a few pleasantries I asked,"Are you ready to talk now?"

"Yes .Sure.
I can see you are a news reporter but, what do you want to talk about?I agreed to talk to you 'cause your friend Hari is a very good friend of mine."

"I heard from Hari about your mother that...err...(I was reluctant to continue).

Dhruv was angry at me initially but, on knowing I did not mean harm,he started to talk.

"My father came from a very poor family and so did my mother.
They loved each other and got married.But, my father died even before I was born.His drinking habit dragged him to the grave.Liver cirrhosis.(Point to be noted.)


My father's and mother's family were poor .So, they found it very difficult to support us.Yet,they helped my mother with whatever they had ,till I was born.


Once I was born ,my mother tried to get a job but, many were interested in her youth than her sincerity of work.


Myself and Dhruv
Poverty and helplessness pushed her into the profession."

"Have you ever been angry with your mother for having chosen this profession even in dire situations?"

"How can I be angry with her.If it were only her, she would have managed to live on meagre.She took this up for my sake.I was an indirect cause for her condition.


But, as I grew up,I felt very sad for her plight and decided that I would grow up to pull her out of this mire."

"How did you meet Ragini?"

Just then Ragini came into the room with two cups of hot, piping coffee.

"Thank you",I said.

"It will be better if she answers this question",Dhruv said coyly.

"What question?"she asked.

"He wants to know how we met?"Dhruv briefed her.

"Our meeting was most unexpected.We met in an orphanage on an independence day.
He was there to distribute sweets to the children.I was there as usual."

"Why do say 'as usual'?Do you go to the orphanage regularly?"I intervened.

"Actually, it is my home. I grew up in that orphanage."
She paused for a few seconds.


"But, the people in the orphanage did their best not to let me feel alone.I have many happy childhood memories to that place.So, I go there whenever possible and do my best for them."

"How did both of you fall in love?"I asked.

"We did not fall in love."

"Then?I thought this was a love story."

"It is a love story.But,I fell in love with his mother(saying this, she gave a big sheepish smile!)


Once,he had brought his mother to the orphanage.We had to stay there the whole day ,literally to organize a function and I noticed that Laxmima was so loving and caring to all the children.They were so easily drawn towards her and so was I.


I always used to think how my life would be if I had had my parents with me."

Dhruv intervened and said,"not only was Ragini drawn towards my mother,it was the other way round too. That day my mother came back from the orphanage and was talking about Ragini till late into the night.


I had always wanted to see my mother happy.I thought, if she liked this girl so much,why don't I marry her?


So, I proposed to Ragini the next time I met her and Ragini agreed without a second thought.


I told her about my mother's past life but, that did not seem to matter much to her."

I was lost for words.

Dhruv's mother just then came walking towards me .She had a request.

"All these happenings, my children told you, because you know Dhruv's best friend.
But, this was only for you as a friend.Kindly,do not put this down on print.

Not that it will affect me.I am beyond all that now.But, they have just now placed their first step as man and wife.

I don't want anything to affect my children in anyway.



Please,this a humble request from me."

"Respecting the mother's request I did not publish it on paper.


But, one sentence haunted me ,


"I don't want anything to affect my children in anyway."

Blessed children.















Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment