Friday, July 30, 2010

Oedipus and Electra



















I went for a stroll in the park.There I eavesdropped on a conversation between three friends.

Sorry ,but the topic was scandalous!This is what I heard:


"Oedipus and electra?
Who are they?
Lovers?
Brother and sister?"asked 'A' in total curiosity.

"Well, all you said are almost right"said 'C'


How can that be?lovers and siblings?any new sex club?asked 'B'


'C' was already laughing heartily hearing 'A' and 'B' guessing.
He could hear no more.
"Come on guys,give me a break.These are names of a boy and a girl, from ancient Greece."


'A' was intrigued,"from when have you started relishing history books?I thought you were into medicine."


'A' said ,"This is science.Now, listen:


Oedipus is the name of a boy who, according to Greek mythology, unknowingly killed his father and married his mother. "


A real freak,said 'B'.


"According to science, each young boy in his adolescence, symbolically relives the Oedipus drama. He has cravings for his mother and views his father as a hated rival."


"Hey,don't say that. I love my parents." intruded 'A'


"Yes,your are right. But , all these feelings occur because of certain necessary chemicals in our body called hormones."


"So, the hormone guy is the villain?"said 'A'.It gave him some relief.


"Even though the father is considered a rival, the boy also fears his father , as a result he represses his sexual desire for his mother .Eventually if all goes well, the boy identifies with the father and comes to have harmless affection for the mother."


Both 'A' and 'B' let out a big sigh of relief.


'B' was quick to ask,"Does all this happen to only we boys?Do girls go scott-free?"


"No.The Electra complex is the female counterpart. It is based on the view that each girl wants to possess her father and replace her mother."


"Real bitches!"they sang in chorus.


Felt like seeing an aborigine movie.I could not hear anymore.I was sweating profusely.so, I left the place silently.


There is so much I have to know about my body,I thought.


Go to think of it, like 'C' said ,this is a normal growing process.It happens to all, knowingly or unknowingly ,in different degrees.


It happens mainly in a person's adolescence but, it may extend beyond that phase ,for a few.So, a bit of caution has to be applied.


My God!They don't say adolescence is a difficult period for nothing.


Thank goodness, I have grown up now.












No comments:

Post a Comment